Learn to paint with Maria Peña, an amazingly talented Colombian-Australian Visual Artist.
Through this 6-session Abstract Painting course, you will learn various techniques and principles of abstract painting. You will create shapes, build endless colours, gestural marks, visual and reliefs, a background of visual texture and construct forms using your imagination.
At the end of this course, you will have created and abstract painting project on canvas for your home!
No previous painting experience necessary.
All materials will be provided.
What you will learn
- understanding primary, secondary, and tertiary colours, drawing, and proportion
- to create shapes
- to build endless colours
- gestural marks(application of paint)
- theory of colours
- the elements of design: line, shape, colour, value, tone, texture and depth
- the design principles such as balance, contrast, movement, rhythm, proportion and unity
What you will get
- guidance in a creative and encouraging environment
- connect with others with similar passions and interests
- build your confidence, be challenged, and be inspired
- your artwork to take with you
What you need to bring
- apron that you don’t mind getting dirty
- cloth to clean paint
About the tutor
María Peña is a Colombian visual artist currently based in Melbourne. She studied for a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in painting and ceramics at the Art School ‘Academia Superior de Artes de Bogotá’ and a Doctorate of Fine Arts at RMIT University in Melbourne. Her career has developed between Australia and Colombia through solo and collective shows, artist-in-residency programs, and specific projects. Up to now, she has participated in solo and collective shows in Colombia, Australia, Mexico, China, Italy, India, Argentina, New York, and the United Arab Emirates.
María’s main practice is oil painting and mural art projects, and she runs oil painting classes out of her Brunswick West workshop.
Peña’s work overlaps images of past and present, offering traces to remember and imagine a new reconstructed home and identity. Themes of memory, absence, presence, sense of longing, and myth have triggered Maria Peña´s pictorial world and art concepts. Her art has a strong influence from sub-realism ideas and referents from visual and cultural theory.